These are a healthier and fresher version of the taquitos you find in the frozen food section of the grocery store.
Mix shredded or finely chopped cooked chicken, cilantro, diced red onion, and shredded jack cheese in a bowl. Today I used grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast. Rotisserie chicken would also be a good idea.
Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In the microwave, nuke 4 corn tortillas at a time for about 20 seconds. They need to be warm enough so that when you roll them up they don’t fall apart.
Add some of the mixture to each tortilla, add a couple dashes of Cholula hot sauce, and place seam side down on the baking sheet.
Spray the tops with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little bit of salt.
Bake until golden and crispy. About 17-20 minutes.
Top with whatever you want. I used sliced avocado, sour cream, red onion, and cilantro.
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 8oz monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and finely chopped
- Cholula hot sauce
- corn tortillas, taco size, at least 28
- Optional toppings: sour cream, sliced avocado, red onion, cilantro, tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Mix chicken, cilantro, onion, and cheese in a bowl.
- Put 4-5 tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds so they become soft and pliable.
- Spoon mixture into tortilla, add a couple dashes of Cholula hot sauce, roll up, and place on baking sheet seam down.
- Spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt, and bake until golden and crispy, about 17-20 minutes.
- Extra taquitos can be frozen and then baked later. Freeze while layed out on a baking sheet. Once frozen solid, can be placed in a zip lock freezer bag.