Oh dear. I made something with cream again. And cheese. I’m trying to get butter, I mean better. Tee-hee.
Broccoli is so much better with cheese. But isn’t everything?
In a pot, melt some butter over medium heat.
Chop onion and garlic.
Add onions and gawlic to the butter and cook them until soft. About 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add flour and cook that for a minute. Get the raw flour taste outta there.
Then add milk and cream. I nuke the milk and cream in the microwave for a 1-2 minutes before adding it to the pot.
Chop some broccoli into florets. Add broccoli to the pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper again. Cook until broccoli is tender. About 15-20 minutes.
Shred some cheese.
Add that to the pot and cook for a minute until it is melted.
Taste it and add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with bread. Or these guys.
I didn’t know this biscuit mix existed until my BFF from out of state who loves food as much as I do sent me a box of goodies, with this included! Apparently this mix is available at Walmart/Sam’s! I love these biscuits so much I stuff extras in my purse to take home when we eat there! One would think now that I can make these at home would stop me, but no. It will continue. Not because I am frugal, but because I’m obsessed.
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 large onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 4 cups of milk (2%)
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 3 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 12 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Chop onion and garlic.
- Add to melted butter.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook until onions are soft. About 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir together. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk and cream to the pot.
- Add broccoli florets.
- Sprinkle again with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered on low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Mix in shredded cheese.
- Cook for 1 minute longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or cover and keep on low heat until ready to serve.
- **I warm up the milk and cream in the microwave for 1-2 minutes before adding it to the soup.
- ***I'm conservative with the amount of salt I add. The cheese has a lot of salt. Season to taste once you have added the cheese.
- ****If soup gets too thick, thin it out by adding milk or chicken broth.