It’s getting cold out. Dark when I leave to go to work. Dark when I come home from work. I’m tired and grouchy from working all day. All I want is to feed my face with pasta and meatballs in the comfort of my home, in my holey yoga pants in front of the fireplace and pretend I am super smart by yelling out the wrong questions to Jeopardy. Unless of course it is the teen addition, then I am a genius.
There’s a gazillion and a half ways to make meatballs. This is my way. Which is the highway. uhhh? yeah.
In a big bowl, add all this stuff:
then mix it together with your hands to form medium size balls…
then bake them in the oven for 30 minutes.
While meatballs are baking, make tomato sauce.
Add some oil to a pan and heat to low-medium heat,
chop some onion,
and cook until soft for about 10 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
Add a splash of wine and cook for a minute.
Add tomato sauce . I don’t discriminate against the jarred stuff.
Simmer on low until meatballs are done.
They look kinda gross but they’re not. Promise. Add meatballs to the sauce, spoon over sauce, cover and cook for another 10 minutes on low heat.
Cook and drain the pasta.
Add pasta to a big serving bowl and top with meatballs and sauce. Probably considered blasphemy by any Italian by not adding the pasta to the sauce to finish but I like it this way today, mmk?
Sprinkle with some fresh basil and parm to finish.
- 1# 80/20 ground hamburger
- 1/4 C plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 C grated white onion
- 1/4 C milk
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 T chopped parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 4 C Marinara sauce
- splash of wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1# Spaghetti Pasta
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all the meatball ingredients to a large bowl and mix together with your hands.
- Roll into medium sized balls and put them in a baking dish.
- Bake x 30 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over low-medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook until soft 8-10 minutes.
- Add splash of wine to the onions and stir.
- Add marinara sauce and simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Add meatballs to sauce, loosely cover, and simmer x 10 more minutes.
- While meatballs and sauce simmer, cook pasta.
- Drain pasta, add meatballs & sauce to noodles.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and shredded fresh basil.
- ***Makes 14 medium sized meatballs