If you make this dip, don’t tell your cardiologist. This is a coronary artery disease nightmare. Paired with suspenseful playoff football, you may be contributing to the job security of healthcare workers everywhere. Today, I am not a cardiac nurse, I am a regular bat shit crazy Bronco fan praying for a New England loss who needs a kick ass dip to give me the energy to scream my ass off at the television. I can’t help it. It is my cross to bear.
Make the first layer by mixing cream cheese, ricotta, parmesan cheese, salt, oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and 1 egg in a bowl.
Spread it into a 9 inch pie plate.
Pepperoni is greasy so I like to cook the fat out of it. Slice some pepperoni and add them to a cold pan. Cook on medium heat. Take them out of the pan with a slotted spoon and onto a paper towel lined plate.
Get rid of all the grease and wipe out the pan with a paper towel and cook veggies over medium heat until soft.
Spread marinara sauce over the bottom cheese layer.
then top with slice mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
Put the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Broil for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is a little browned. Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil.
To make garlic toast: slice a baguette, brush each side with olive oil, add some salt, and place on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 minute on each side. Rub toast with a garlic clove. One side or both sides depending on how garlicky you want it.
Now if you will excuse me, there’s an important game on….
- 8 oz room temperature cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
- 1 cup julienned pepperoni slices
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- sliced mozzarella
- pepperoni slices
- chopped fresh basil
- Mix all ingredients for the first layer in a bowl and spread evenly into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Add strips of pepperoni to a cold skillet and cook over medium heat. Take out and place on paper towels to drain the grease.
- Add chopped mushrooms and onion to a skillet and cook over medium heat until soft. Add a pinch of salt to season.
- Spread marinara sauce over bottom cheesy layer.
- Add pepperoni, mushrooms, and onions on top.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices.
- Place pie plate on a baking sheet.
- Bake x 20 minutes and then broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese a little bit.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil.
- Serve with garlic toast, bagel chips, or pita chips.
- Use whatever toppings you like! Make sure you cook hamburger or sausage first before adding. Sautéed peppers would also be delicious!