There was a bunch of arugula in my fridge that I didn’t know what to do with. Since I have been obsessing about making pesto with the leaves of my basil plant, that probably will not ever happen, the arugula pesto light bulb turns on in my head (yes that plant is still alive, thanks to Joe). Right now I am thinking I am brilliant. Till I Google it. Thanks a lot Google. You have to be fricken kidding me. I must be living in a cave. Just when I think I have an original idea, reality strikes and you realize there are a million different versions of arugula pesto out there floating in the world. So I make arugula pesto from a recipe I found. Bitter and nasty. So I deviated to make it taste like it should or at least so my taste buds would be happy.
This is my mechanical mortar and pestle, mmmk?
Toast up your pine nuts.
mmmmmm, toasty. Let these cool off.
Add some cheese,
half of the oil,
Zest and juice of a lemon,
Oh yeah, don’t forget the salt and pepper.
Blitz away…Blitzy Blizterton.
Now, what do I do with the stuff?
There. No autographs today, I’ll be around all week, thanks.
- 2 C fresh arugula
- 1 small garlic clove or 1/2 large clove
- Heaping 1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
- 3 T toasted pine nuts
- 1 C extra virgin olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Toast pine nuts in a saute pan over medium heat. Set aside to cool.
- Add arugula and garlic to a food processor and blitz.
- Add parmesan cheese, 1/2 C olive oil, and pine nuts and blitz.
- Add lemon zest and juice, 1/2 C olive oil, salt, and pepper, and blitz again.
- Done and done.
- Toss with cooked spaghetti. Reserve some of the pasta water to add to the pesto and pasta to loosen up the sauce a lil bit.