I got an ice cream machine for my birthday! Yes!!!! I immediately became overwhelmed with all the different flavors and combinations I wanted to make with this thing. In the end, I wanted to make, what I consider the best flavor of all, vanilla! Sometime the simplest flavors are the best. Lucky for me, it came with a little recipe book. So all I did was follow that.
Add 1/2 C of sugar to a medium saucepan.
Measure out 2 Cups of whole milk and 2 C of heavy cream and add it to the sugar. Also add a pinch of salt.
Cut a vanilla bean in half
and scrape out the seeds.
Add ’em to the pot.
Stir together and heat over low-medium heat.
Meanwhile, take room temperature eggs,
add yolks to a medium sized bowl,
add 1/2 cup of sugar,
1 minute in…..
2 minutes in…..There. Just whisk until thick and pale.
Once milk comes to a light boil, drizzle a scoop of hot milk to the eggs and sugar and whisk to incorporate. Do this 3 times to temper the eggs so they don’t scramble.
Add egg mixture to the rest of the hot milk
and cook for 1-2 minutes longer on low-medium heat until it coats the back of the spoon.
Pour cream into a bowl through a fine mesh strainer. Discard the vanilla pod. You did good if there are no scrambled eggs in the strainer! I did good.
Cover it with saran wrap or foil and let it sit until it comes to room temperature. Stir in the vanilla.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
The ice cream machine is really difficult to use…not!!!! Oh yes I did, 1995!
Pour cream into the freezer bowl.
Put the lid on. Turn it on. This is complex. I better take a nap soon.
Churn until 20 minutes until thickened.
Put it in a bowl or container with lid and freeze until desired firmness.
Love the flecks from the vanilla bean….
- 2 C whole milk
- 2 C heavy cream
- 1 C sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 whole vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped out
- 5 large egg yolks-room temperature
- vanilla extrace
- Add milk, cream, half of sugar, salt, and vanilla bean seeds and pod to a medium saucepan, mix, and set over low-medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar together until pale and thick (approx 2 minutes).
- Once milk/cream mixture come to slight boil, add a spoonful to eggs/sugar and stir together. Do this 3 times to temper the eggs.
- Add egg mixture to the milk/cream mixture and stir together.
- Cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes until it is slightly thick and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour it through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. You did good if there are no scrambled eggs in the strainer!!!
- Discard the vanilla pod.
- Put saran wrap or foil directly on top of cream and let it come to room temperature.
- Stir in a couple splashes of vanilla extract
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Pour into icecream maker and churn it for 20 minutes until thick.
- Put it into a container and freeze.